homestead - Re: [Homestead] The longest post yet-Anger

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The longest post yet-Anger
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:22:02 -0800 (PST)

There are few black folk in Arizona. Lots of Mexicans and South/Central
Americans, though. It is strange seeing cultural shifts moving from one
region to another.

People in the deep south have a much longer relationship with the black/
white thing. I think that is why people in the South live a much more
progressive, racially, life than people elsewhere. People from other areas
talk about living in racial harmony. People in the South must do it, daily.

I have so many friends , acquaintances , and business people with whom I
interact who are of hispanic heritage, that sometimes, I just forget that
this isn't the norm, everywhere. But, I also know the barrios where simply
being white can be an invitation to danger. You have too be a realist to
survive.

My only remaining black friend in Phoenix is , like me, originally from the
South. He; and I think his opinion is not isolated, mis-trusts the racial
cooing from white liberals. He has lived long enough to know how you
interact with someone in daily life is more important than singing &
preaching academic multi-culturalism.

He is very happy for BO, as I imagined he would be, and he is culturally much
more conservative than I am .....bobford