homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stealing an Election-Big Picture

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stealing an Election-Big Picture
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

Lynn, I posted a youtube of Naomi Wolf. My point was that a woman , once
considered intellectually formidable, was beginning to show neurotic
tendencies. I

f you read the quotation (from today) below, you will see that she is
conversely daily with Erica Jong, and they are gathering at the 'ne plus
ultra' of magical neurotic circles with other intellectulall luminaries such
as Jane Fonda and Susan Cheever. Fortunately this blathering group is being
sustained with accupuncture treatments and diazepam .....bobford

Erica Jong Tells Italians Obama Loss 'Will Spark the Second American Civil
War. Blood Will Run in the Streets'

by Jason Horowitz | October 30, 2008 |

Getty Images
Erica Jong, 1976.It seems that the final days of the presidential campaign
have made Erica Jong and her friends more than a little anxious.

A few days ago, Jong, the author and self-described feminist, gave an
interview to the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, the choicest bits of
which were brought to my attention by the reliably sharp-eyed Christian
Rocca, the U.S. correspondent of Il Foglio, who published excerpts on his
Camillo blog. Basically, Jong says her fear that Obama might lose the
election has developed into an "obsession. A paralyzing terror. An anxious
fever that keeps you awake at night." She also says that her friends Jane
Fonda and Naomi Wolf are extremely worried that Obama will be sabotaged by
Republican dirty tricks, and that if an Obama loss indeed comes to pass, the
result will be a second American Civil War.

Here's a translation of Jong's more spirited quotes to the Milan-based
Corriere, as selected by Rocca.

"The record shows that voting machines in America are rigged."

"My friends Ken Follett and Susan Cheever are extremely worried. Naomi Wolf
calls me every day. Yesterday, Jane Fonda sent me an email to tell me that
she cried all night and can't cure her ailing back for all the stress that
has reduces her to a bundle of nerves."

"My back is also suffering from spasms, so much so that I had to see an
acupuncturist and get prescriptions for Valium."

"After having stolen the last two elections, the Republican Mafia…"

"If Obama loses it will spark the second American Civil War. Blood will run
in the streets, believe me. And it's not a coincidence that President Bush
recalled soldiers from Iraq for Dick Cheney to lead against American citizens
in the streets."

"Bush has transformed America into a police state, from torture to the
imprisonment of reporters, to the Patriot Act."

She also laments that not all of America's men of letters share her devotion
to Obama.

"Tom Wolfe and John Updike are men of the right and Philip Roth is at this
point a hermit who leads a monastic life in Connecticut, far from everything
and everybody."

Luckily, she said there is her and Michael Chabon, who, she says, have "taken
the place of Susan Sontag and Norman Mailer respectively."

They have the same political sensibilities, she said, but a better "sense of
humor."

http://www.observer.com/2008/politics/erica-jong-tells-italians-obama-loss-will-spark-second-american-civil-war-blood-will-r