homestead - Re: [Homestead] Big 10 Tobacco

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Big 10 Tobacco
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:02:56 -0400

My ex father-in-law drinks a fifth of scotch a day, and is fit as a fiddle at 90. He drives, holidays, and babysits his grands.

It's a marvel of pickling, really.

On Oct 30, 2008, at 11:29 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Now I am glad I never took up the habit.

We recently celebrated my father's 81st birthday. All my uncles, all
Herself's uncles, my FIL, who smoked are dead, almost everyone of them of tobacco
induced cancer of some sort. My father quit when he was 38 years old.

Like you, I've never smoked, never used tobacco in any form. If pressed for
a reason I suppose I'd say that it's nasty stuff and I never overcame the
revulsion enough to see the other side of it. Yet, Jeanne, do you not also recall
the rationalization you heard in the 50's and 60's ..... "when your number's
up, it's up! I know someone who died of this or that and they never smoked a
day in their life. My grandpa lived to be some ghastly old age ... like 61
.... and smoked every day of his life!" Yet here at the end, all the (at
least) men I know personally who are healthy and are past 70 years old are
non-smokers. The rest are dead. The statistics are a slam dunk.

Alas, today's problem is obesity, and today's people have the same penchant
for denial that smokers had in 1955.