homestead - [Homestead] Homesteading alone

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homesteading alone
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 14:07:29 +0000

Lynn,

I'm considering the alone thing now too and wondered how hard it will be to
do as a woman. But there's an old man who lives a few miles down the road who
is alone and doesn't drive and he is doing fine on his own. He's not raising
animals and lives from what he grows in the garden and the deer that we give
him from time to time. I think that's how I will do it. The area of influence
will shrink around my house until I am surrounded by wilderness except for my
little zone of living right around the house and I'll learn to live on a diet
I can produce on my own or gather, like the old man down the road. We are
fortunate to live in a spot where this is possible, I think. The seasons
aren't so harsh that everything dies in winter and there's always something
around to eat within easy walking distance, and especially so if I keep a few
chickens and a small garden and can reduce my input needs.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)