homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading alone

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading alone
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:13:46 -0400

Boy, don't I know it! We paid down the mortgage we first had here, and
that felt good. I now live on a mix of child support, farm income, and
charity from my (rich) mother. There is no extra money to put toward the
mortgage. I've been looking for a job for a year now. This has always
been an economically depressed area with few people and fewer jobs. I've
applied for every minimum wage job within 25 miles...they inevitably go
to kids right out of high school.

Being over 50 and not having been employed in 17 years hurts my chances.
I have a Master's Degree, but there's no work here requiring a degree;
it's in Library Science, and the library won't hire me because I have a
higher degree than the director. The government employment agency I
signed up for suggested that I remove my MLS AND my BA from my resume so
as not to "scare away" employers. Sigh. The only good jobs here are for
nurses and mechanics.

I still think I'll have to make my own job, but I haven't hit on the
right thing yet. I've been self-employed in the past (freelance
technical writer) and enjoyed it. All the freelance writing jobs seem to
have gone to India. I've tried a farm stand and crafts, and they bring
in a little, but not enough. Selling beef is a good business, but I'd
need 10 'enterprises' as Salatin calls them, to have enough money. I
can't handle more than 2 or 3 by myself.

If I take on too much, stuff starts slipping through the cracks and it
all falls down. For instance, I was selling crafts (candles) at craft
shows, but they are on weekends, so I'd make some money on the candles,
but I couldn't have the farm stand open to sell meat, so I'd lose money
there. Plus the kids were left alone all day...they are older now, but I
still don't like leaving them too much...makes me feel like a negligent
mother (their father sometimes doesn't see them for months at a time; I
feel like I have to make up for that). Plus my mother is 92, had a
stroke, and just had a mastectomy. I do all her shopping and take her to
doctor's appointments, and check in on her every day. And don't even
suggest bringing her here...she can't do stairs, and loves her house
(hates mine). We'd kill each other. Both of our goals is to keep her in
her own house, but it does take a lot of effort on my part.

I can't take in boarders yet because I still have kids at home. I don't
want to subject them to strangers living in the house. It's an old
farmhouse and doesn't offer much privacy. We already fight over the one
bathroom; adding another person would make it worse. That is my
long-term thinking, though, once the kids are out, if I could find the
right person.

Wow; this turned out to be quite a rant. Sorry

Lynn Wigglesworth