homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading alone

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading alone
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:49:18 -0400

Roxann; I know what you mean. I don't think it's any harder as a woman;
I have a tractor that, in many respects, is a good substitute for a
strong man :-) There are many homestead jobs that are hard to do alone,
though. Jobs that are SO much easier if you have someone on the other
end...turning the electric fence on and off while you fix/test it a
quarter mile away, carrying the other end of a 4x8 piece of plywood, etc.

My biggest problem is that I had to buy out my ex's share of the farm,
so I acquired a big 30 year mortgage at age 50. I'll need steady (not
big, but steady) income until I'm 80. Once the kids are grown, I could
raise enough food for myself and live cheaply, but there's that mortgage...

Lynn Wigglesworth