homestead - Re: [Homestead] The place smells like apples.

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The place smells like apples.
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:03:57 -0700

On Oct 23, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Roy Morgan wrote:

As a neighborly gesture, the folks who hayed our fields brought some
dried apples. YUMMY! Seems he has a dehydrator from Bass Pro Shops.

We got one today (the $40 one) and it's drying apples as I type. Like
many projects, this one is a nice-to-do and not an essential do-it-up-
all-the-way thing. So instead of getting the $190 one touted as the
best, we decided to start modestly. This thing uses some 375 watts of
electricity - about four kilowatt hours per batch. (60 cents or so?)
In the process it adds the heat to the house. The expensive job uses
a kilowatt.

The apples I'm using are free - they grow here.

Keep writing. We can't find anything to criticize so far.