homestead - Re: [Homestead] The place smells like apples.

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The place smells like apples.
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:00:51 -0400

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:54 AM, <rayzentz AT aim.com> wrote:

> Well, we've just started in with drying.?? We've put up over 100 qts of
> applesauce, 15 qts of juice, to use for jelly later, 24 qts of apple pie
> filling, and now it's on to dehydrating, primarily for apple snacks for
> kids, and their school lunches.?? My wife is sick of apples...

Ray, told my husband about the amazing Zentz family last week, how you had
then put up 85 quarts of applesauce and that was before you were ready to do
pie filling, etc. I really wish you could have seen the look on his face.
We're finishing apples as I write, and truthfully, I'm glad to learn that
I'll be dehydrating pumpkin instead of canning.

I realize that next apple season we'll have to step up production (and ward
off the deer better) to produce more quarts to last throughout the year.

I'll bet your wife is sick of apples, probably the whole family is, but bet
you'll enjoy the apple pie at Thanksgiving. ;)

Lisa