homestead - Re: [Homestead] No Shoes for Eddie Mitchell

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] No Shoes for Eddie Mitchell
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:06:37 -0400

Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I used to think, before I had kids, that I was just fantasizing to escape my reality, but after re-reading them as an adult to my own kids, I realize that it was more than that. Like you, I thought of it a survival puzzle solving. I also loved the adventure classics...they're the best.
Re: Boxcar...there was a small creek at the bottom of the hollow where I grew up. My friends and I made a 'refrigerator' in the creek, and dammed it for a swimming hole just like they did in the book.
I've blocked out much of my childhood, but that was a good memory. I'm pretty sure that those books influenced my homesteading. Now, I look at 'waste' and figure out how to use it.