homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:48:45 -0800

I store some of my dehydrated stuff in the bags that come with the Seal-A-Meal thingy and some in jars.

If you don't have one of the jar sealers, you can get a good seal on jars by oven canning for your dehydrated foods (200 degrees, 20 minutes). Wash your jars real well. I dip mine in boiling water after washing and then stick in the oven to dry. Pull them out with a mit and fill and then back in the oven to seal them. I soak the lids just like I would for regular canning and then pat them dry and put them on the jars and then "can" them.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

Good morning.

Thanks, ladies, and James, for the helpful thoughts. If I understood
correctly, even with pressure canning I stand a good chance of the jars not
sealing or the pumpkin going bad or having a thin consistency.

My $64 question is how do you dehydrate pumpkin? Slice thin, puree into
leather or ? Do you thicken it with something (a bit of ground flax seed or
?)

I'm here to learn.

While we're at it, what foods would you prefer to can (if any) v.
dehydrating?

Can you store in canning jars or how do you store or keep dehydrated foods?
I don't have a vacuum sealer gadget.

Thanks.

Lisa