homestead - Re: [Homestead] No Shoes for Eddie Mitchell

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] No Shoes for Eddie Mitchell
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:57:54 -0400

Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

I was five and a half, and he was four and a half, and we were partners. Toy cars and little dirt roads under our dining room window. Hunting spiders. Bird-watching with a pair of worn-out binoculars. Hiding up under the boxcars and pretending we were hoboes. Oh, that's the life for me! Getting into trouble for firing up the back yard incinerator at 4 a.m. on a Saturday morning and stealing our mother's potatoes just to see if we could bake one in the coals and eat it.

That sounds wonderful! I am glad you had such a great friend.
Speaking of books and boxcars, did anyone ever read _The Boxcar Children_ when they were kids? I loved those books, fantasized about living that way. Maybe they influenced my homesteading desires.

My mother and I, several years later, when I was a teenager, were taking the Long Beach 'red train' and I was so looking forward to finding Eddie again. But we happened to pick up a local paper at one of the stops,and of the lead articles told of how Eddie had been horribly maimed in an auto accident.
I don't know where he is today.

You should find him. You should tell him what you just told me/us. People live to hear things like that. It's real and powerful. You should find him now.

Bev
--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan