homestead - Re: [Homestead] No Shoes for Eddie Mitchell

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] No Shoes for Eddie Mitchell
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:42:58 EDT

I will try. Your positive response gives me hope. Otherwise, I just sink
into the abyss of self-pity, and that doesn't accomplish anything.

I have the old German Shepherd in tonight, because it's too cold and windy,
and I can feel his hipbones and his backbone and his ribs protruding. He
gets
skinnier by the day and - although I've started feeding him twice a day inste
ad of just once, he doesn't improve. He is Blackjack Joe Daggett, named
after the once-governor of California, who used to own the property I lived
on a
couple of years ago - here on Route 66.

I just worry with the unfinished wood floors and the fact that he's become
incontinent of late.

He is a rescue dog - or so I'd like to think - that my daughter brought
home from Ace Hardware two years ago when he either ran away from home or
was
abandoned. Could this all-of-a-sudden be worms?

He's asleep now, along with all five cats, two cockatiels, one parakeet and
one desert tortoise. If I tippy-toe, I'll get some sleep myself. It's just
that I'll go to sleep wondering what I can do to make him comfortable.

I have no way to get a 'house' for him, even though I've tried. He's just
too big - even in his skinny state.

In a message dated 10/10/2008 7:58:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net writes:

Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

> I was five and a half, and he was four and a half, and we were partners.
Toy
> cars and little dirt roads under our dining room window. Hunting
spiders.
> Bird-watching with a pair of worn-out binoculars. Hiding up under the
boxcars
> and pretending we were hoboes. Oh, that's the life for me! Getting into
> trouble for firing up the back yard incinerator at 4 a.m. on a Saturday
morning and
> stealing our mother's potatoes just to see if we could bake one in the
coals
> and eat it.

That sounds wonderful! I am glad you had such a great friend.
Speaking of books and boxcars, did anyone ever read _The Boxcar
Children_ when they were kids? I loved those books, fantasized about
living that way. Maybe they influenced my homesteading desires.

> My mother and I, several years later, when I was a teenager, were taking
the
> Long Beach 'red train' and I was so looking forward to finding Eddie
again.
> But we happened to pick up a local paper at one of the stops,and of the
lead
> articles told of how Eddie had been horribly maimed in an auto accident.
>
> I don't know where he is today.

You should find him. You should tell him what you just told me/us.
People live to hear things like that. It's real and powerful. You
should find him now.

Bev
--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from
the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan