homestead - Re: [Homestead] No Shoes for Eddie Mitchell

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] No Shoes for Eddie Mitchell
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 00:11:36 -0400

I suppose it could be worms. I'm not good at diagnosing things with dogs, even though I am a dog lover. We had a GS when I was a kid. She died of heartworms, and I am sad to say that the symptoms were similar to what you describe, BUT, she was fine one month and died the next. She did not suffer for long, but she became very thin very quickly. Doubt you have many mosquitos in the high desert, so I wouldn't worry too much about heartworms.
On a happy note, we were able to re-home my Swissy yesterday. He went to a couple with 3 acres and a couple of other dogs and cats. Followups last night and today find the new owners happy with him, even though he is chasing their cats. The cats seem to like him though, ironically. I'm just so happy that he found a good home where he will get lots of attention. I wish that they had kids for him to play with, but I guess you can't have everything.

Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

I have the old German Shepherd in tonight, because it's too cold and windy, and I can feel his hipbones and his backbone and his ribs protruding. He gets skinnier by the day and - although I've started feeding him twice a day inste
ad of just once, he doesn't improve. I just worry with the unfinished wood floors and the fact that he's become incontinent of late.
He is a rescue dog - or so I'd like to think - that my daughter brought home from Ace Hardware two years ago when he either ran away from home or was abandoned. Could this all-of-a-sudden be worms? He's asleep now, along with all five cats, two cockatiels, one parakeet and one desert tortoise. If I tippy-toe, I'll get some sleep myself. It's just that I'll go to sleep wondering what I can do to make him comfortable. I have no way to get a 'house' for him, even though I've tried. He's just too big - even in his skinny state. In a message dated 10/10/2008 7:58:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, erthnsky AT bellsouth.net writes:

Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

I was five and a half, and he was four and a half, and we were partners.
Toy
cars and little dirt roads under our dining room window. Hunting
spiders.
Bird-watching with a pair of worn-out binoculars. Hiding up under the
boxcars
and pretending we were hoboes. Oh, that's the life for me! Getting into trouble for firing up the back yard incinerator at 4 a.m. on a Saturday
morning and
stealing our mother's potatoes just to see if we could bake one in the
coals
and eat it.

That sounds wonderful! I am glad you had such a great friend.
Speaking of books and boxcars, did anyone ever read _The Boxcar Children_ when they were kids? I loved those books, fantasized about living that way. Maybe they influenced my homesteading desires.

My mother and I, several years later, when I was a teenager, were taking
the
Long Beach 'red train' and I was so looking forward to finding Eddie
again.
But we happened to pick up a local paper at one of the stops,and of the
lead
articles told of how Eddie had been horribly maimed in an auto accident.
I don't know where he is today.

You should find him. You should tell him what you just told me/us. People live to hear things like that. It's real and powerful. You should find him now.

Bev