homestead - [Homestead] Wood-fired water heating

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Wood-fired water heating
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:08:07 -0700

I am unable to find an American company that sells wood-fired water heaters. I may be forced to build one. I am thinking that the first experiment will be to suspend a small, old-but-sound water tank-- should be easy to find one that was discarded when the controls froze-- high inside a barrel stove. Will add another pressure-relief valve to supplement the one on the propane water heater that will be plumbed to follow the wood-fired unit. This will allow preheating water with wood before propane is used. Our present propane heater is in the basement and I used to have a barrel stove down there, so the double flu is at the ready. Any excess heat will warm the basement, which is under the kitchen.

Comments, please.