homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned pumpkin
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:06:13 -0400

Good morning.

Thanks, ladies, and James, for the helpful thoughts. If I understood
correctly, even with pressure canning I stand a good chance of the jars not
sealing or the pumpkin going bad or having a thin consistency.

My $64 question is how do you dehydrate pumpkin? Slice thin, puree into
leather or ? Do you thicken it with something (a bit of ground flax seed or
?)

I'm here to learn.

While we're at it, what foods would you prefer to can (if any) v.
dehydrating?

Can you store in canning jars or how do you store or keep dehydrated foods?
I don't have a vacuum sealer gadget.

Thanks.

Lisa