homestead - Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:11:57 -0400

eureka AT hctc.net wrote:

I don't teach the roll like many instructors. The roll I teach is called the C to C roll.

I have saved this instruction for future reference when my DD or SIL wants to try it again. Actually, I guess I may need it too. DH is talking about building kayaks now. I think he is looking to build a sea kayak though.

I am a solid Class III paddler but, with our drought and low CFS, am so out of shape would be a fool to attempt it now. I prefer Class II or less these days. We will probably make a trip your way in 2009 as I'm researching some of my Georgia ancestors in Gwinette Co. and would like to visit NC again. Maybe we can have a nice easy paddle together!

That would be awesome. I'd feel much safer with someone like you around. You just never know when you might get into trouble. In a natural setting even a small injury can really do you in.

Yikes! What a story. You are a trooper. That would have ended my vacation. I don't make a very good canoe partner because I like to be in control of my boat and I don't like looking over somebody's shoulder. There is a joke about canoeing being the fastest way to a divorce. The kayak has much more stability because your butt, and center of gravity, is below water level, and having a two bladed paddle gives more balance.

LOL, yeah, well I have to admit that we had several LONG discussions about this very thing, but in the end, decided that we needed to communicate better and that this would be the thing to teach us to do that and work together. He built EarthNSky as a Prospector, a tripping canoe so that we could go canoe camping. It was meant to have weight in the center, like ballast, but we have not ever gone camping. Our biggest issue is that he doesn't trust me. He needs to react and act immediately on what I say, not wait until he sees the rock himself. You know what I mean?

“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda