homestead - Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:54:08 -0500

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 02:14:47 -0400
EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

SIL tried 6
times to roll, so
we had a good laugh. I've got some great pics of that day. Anyway,
have since heard that you have to have your head on the deck to get
over, then twist your hips. I know it is one of those things that is
easier said than done, but is that the trick, having your head down?

Actually, I think it is easier done than said. Words don't make any sense when you are hanging upside down underwater. <g>

I don't teach the roll like many instructors. The roll I teach is called the C to C roll. I stand in the water and move you through 90 percent of the motions starting with the last thing first (the hip snap) and working you up to the begining in reverse order. Most of this can be accomplished without putting your head under, or at least under much. It's really all about fluidity and a great hip snap, so there really aren't any tricks. By the time the student can execute these competently, I let them do the first step on their own, which is dumping themselves over, which I think is the hardest part <g> It is very demanding on me physically, but it is the quickest way to get someone rolling, and it then becomes something very natural rather than jerky (or comical, as the case may have been!)

The number one reason for a failed roll is not having a strong hip snap. The second, and most common one, is head position...when moving your spine from a C one way to a C the other way you must have your ear on one shoulder and then move to your other ear on the other shoulder. You can practice this at your desk. If you have the wrong ear/shoulder while making a spinal C you would actually be making an S with your spine.

There is a very good video called "Grace Under Pressure" that is filmed underwater so you can see the fluid motions that I recommend anyone trying to learn it on their own.

Sage, that is only about 2 hours from my house. Next time you are out
this way, give me a shout. There are a lot of good whitewater rivers
around here. I'm a Class I girl myself.

I am a solid Class III paddler but, with our drought and low CFS, am so out of shape would be a fool to attempt it now. I prefer Class II or less these days. We will probably make a trip your way in 2009 as I'm researching some of my Georgia ancestors in Gwinette Co. and would like to visit NC again. Maybe we can have a nice easy paddle together!

Yikes! What a story. You are a trooper. That would have ended my vacation. I don't make a very good canoe partner because I like to be in control of my boat and I don't like looking over somebody's shoulder. There is a joke about canoeing being the fastest way to a divorce. The kayak has much more stability because your butt, and center of gravity, is below water level, and having a two bladed paddle gives more balance.

May of 2006 DH decides he wants to build canoe, but has never paddled.
Bev decides we need to rent a canoe so that he can learn to paddle and
decide if it is something he likes to do.

The voice of reason!

before, so it was
faster than usual. Also, we had never been there before, had no
knowledge of the river, had no guide, no companions,

Sounds familiar....

opening. We were stuck parallel to the current and perpendicular to
the fall.

That's called a pin.

Now, we don't paddle alone. We carry a first aid kit, and we research
the river before we go.

Good girl! Sounds like we've both learned some lessons from OJT.

--Sage