homestead - Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Primitive Technology Living
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 18:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

Sage, I just watched this movie about some people living on the mesa in NM,
not just like what you describe, but certainly not mainstream. . It is a
documentary that won some indie awards earlier this year. If you watch it,
there is a button on the far right bottom hand side to make it full screen,
it isn't youtube. It is about an hour with a few, intermittent
advertisemnets. There is even a person named Sage : -)

Here are descriptions:

"Twenty-Five miles from town, a million miles from mainstream society, a
loose-knit community of eco-pioneers, teenage runaways, war veterans and
drop-outs, live on the fringe and off the grid, struggling to survive with
little food, less water and no electricity, as they cling to their unique
vision of the American dream…"

"Look out the window while you’re driving through the rural American
Southwest. You’ll see the stark beauty of the landscape, but what you won’t
see is the underground community a few miles in the distance. They inhabit
this stunning, yet unfriendly territory. The Mesa has no access to the
electricity grid and it’s not patrolled by a police force. There is no
official rule of law. However, many residents are extremely patriotic and
believe in the basic tenants of the U.S. Constitution.

This post-modern wild west is a haven for American Veterans suffering from
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Gulf War Syndrome. Teenage runaways are
also drawn here for the sense of anarchy, anonymity and freedom. Fueled by
the growth and distribution of Marijuana, the Mesa has developed an
underground economy all its own. But marijuana’s legal status has brought
increasing government surveillance. A recent police raid solidified
anti-government sentiment.

Anti-establishment beliefs are tested when a group of rebel runaways called
“the nowhere kids” begins to stockpile weapons and steal food from
neighboring residents. The community is challenged to find common ground in
order to protect themselves against this dangerous faction. Residents form a
council, and hold a hearing to deal with the thieves. This self-imposed
government is the very thing they have come to the Mesa to escape. "

http://snagfilms.com/films/title/off_the_grid_life_on_the_mesa/