homestead - Re: [Homestead] YouTube - A Palin Rally in Johnstown, PA last weekend

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] YouTube - A Palin Rally in Johnstown, PA last weekend
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:16:50 -0700

On Oct 17, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

Now when I was a girl...... but really, society in general was more
civil when I was a kid. I'd be happy if someone took up civility as a
cause. Clinton (Bill) and Bush (41) have been teaming up for other
good works; maybe they could take up the cause.

We sure could use some role models in Civility 101.

After what I wrote yesterday about how civility has declined since I started voting, I have had occasion to rethink. I am now thinking that politicians have always been adversarial, that some have acted as statesmen but some have been vulgar and even violent. Some ended up in duels.

What I am now thinking is that it is the media that has lowered the bar of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Things once considered off limits, like children and philandering, are now blatantly broadcast in the most uncivil way. I am repelled.