homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dow could close below 8000

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dow could close below 8000
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:08:58 -0400

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> World wide markets are cliff diving, Dow futures are off by 250 before
> opening. Another nasty day appears to be ahead of us. We will all be
> affected, my plans are shifting even as I try to not let this bother me.

Just checked Bloomberg.com, the market is currently rebounding. Bush speaks
at 10:25 to reassure us that everything will be okay. Will be interesting
afterwards, will the markets believe him?

My husband had a fit last night when we learned after dinner that the market
had dropped 678 points. It was my day to work at his music store and neither
of us had heard any news. We had no idea the market had dropped that much.
We sat on the couch together and digested the information, he turned and
said, "All this stuff you've been telling me, it's happening. What's coming
next?" I had to smile. I have no idea.

Through difficult periods or when either of us is really frustrated with
something, we've always told either other platitudes like "It will be okay"
and the like. The other day, we talked about the economy and I made a
comment, "There's nobody I'd rather go through a Greater Depression with
than you." Last night, before we went to bed, he asked "What was it you said
the other day?" and I repeated my new line. It was his turn to smile. He
said "That's exactly what I wanted to hear."

> At least gasoline prices are dropping such that my trip back west will be
> over $250 less than my trip east last spring.

It may become harder to find them, but there is always a silver lining.

lkvp