homestead - Re: [Homestead] My ferrocement birdbath

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My ferrocement birdbath
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 11:31:08 -0400

Thanks! I like it, too!
It is painted. I made two different color washes with acrylic paint for a base color-just mixing paint until I got what I liked. Then I painted the veins, and then went back with a different green and some blue for highlights. Finally, the whole thing was sealed with, of all things, Thompson's Water Seal so that it will hold water. It looks ceramic, doesn't it? Two of my friends sealed theirs with polyurethane and theirs look glossy and very pretty, but I wanted some UV protection so I went with Thompson's. Because mine is not as glossy, it looks ceramic. I took a picture of it this morning with water in it...we have a nice shower going. It's working like a charm and has already been christened by my resident cardinal pair.

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:

I like the leaf very much. Very nice.

What did you use to make the color?

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan