homestead - [Homestead] Sunday morning pasture

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Sunday morning pasture
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 11:12:31 -0400

I put my pigs out in the pasture this morning. I'd had them in a
smaller fenced area for a few weeks so they could heal from the
castration and get to know where home is. My pasture is weeds and all
sorts of good goat food. It's rough, because the hills for the last
crop of tobacco many years ago were left in place and nature grew what
grows there now. Great goat pasture and if the pigs tear it up, no
harm done. They have a couple of wooded areas, so went right to
rooting for acorns and grubs.

I got my new Nubian buckling last week and he has been a real PIA. He
has really good bloodlines and came from a place where they raise
goats more as pets than I do (read spoiled rotten). Took a week to get
him to realize he's a goat. Last week, he was eating like a week old
kid goat on pasture, just a nibble here and there. pathetic. He's 6
mos old, so he'll revert to goat. Two of the girls came in heat this
morning so no more crying, he's got a job to do and is more than happy
to do it. I'm looking forward to getting some replacement milkers
started next spring.

The geese got left out on the pasture, they cause too much trouble
around the house, so it's hopping out there. Hens with chicks,
roosters, guineas, hens laying eggs, goats, pigs and one livestock
guard dog that's looking at me like I'm crazy. First thing the pigs
did is run over and drink her milk this morning!

It's been cool here, fall weather. Today is sunny and going to warm up
more than it has recently. Sure is a nice thing to take a few minutes
and sit out in the pasture and take in the things around you.

Rob - Va