homestead - Re: [Homestead] Got pigs

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Got pigs
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 07:58:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 9/20/08, bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com> wrote:
I think I could shoot a chicken
> in the head, they aren't very smart.

Bob, you might not want to know how we used to kill chickens when we raised,
and eventually ate, at least 200 a year.

  Pigs, though,
> I've always kind of given them human characteristics,
> much as I do dogs

I believe pigs are More like humans than all but half a dozen species.

>  I know that it is not rational to have that feeling
> about killing animals myself when I know that all of the
> meat I eat comes from slaughtered animals.  If someone else
> dispatches their meat animals in a different way, please
> advise.......bobf

One thing I point out to my Buddhist friend in friendly discussion is that
shooting an animal so that it dies immediately results in less suffering than
the animal would, almost certainly, experience living and dieing in a natural
setting.

Van Dell