homestead - Re: [Homestead] Got pigs

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Bunjov AT aol.com, homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Got pigs
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 20:46:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 9/20/08, Bunjov AT aol.com <Bunjov AT aol.com> wrote:

> From: Bunjov AT aol.com <Bunjov AT aol.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homestead] Got pigs
> To: vdjor AT yahoo.com
> Date: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 10:31 PM
> Well, now -
> I've been following this thread and - 'smoke'
> house has led me to 'spring'
> house.
> Didn't most rural families have those, too? For keeping
> perishables cold
> (cool) - and was there not later some sort of contraption -
> like a dumb waiter -
> to lower meats, dairy products down to the basement and up
> again - in parts
> of the country where they were smart enough to have
> basements?
> Sandy
> Mid-Mojave

I don't remember spring houses, guess they didn't last past the acquisition
of electric refrigerators. I do remember the site of an ice house on my
grandmothers farm. They harvested ice of the pond and packed it in sawdust
for the summer. It was used to make ice cream but mainly to use in the ice
box. that was home made using tongue and grove bead board for the outside;
inside lined with zinc. made like a chest type freezer.\
Which reminds me our chest type freezer needs defrosting.
Van Dell