homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plants are blooming

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plants are blooming
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:06:22 -0800

NO EXCUSE! Anyone can can and it doesn't take an Einstein! If you can use the computer, you can do canning. AND, once you've canned anything, you'll be hooked because you won't be able to go back to the store bought "stuff."

As to dehydrating, use the great outdoors! You've got all that sun and heat, don't waste it. Get a couple of screens and lay your veggies or fruit between them. I wouldn't set them in direct sun but the heat alone will do the job. Flip them every hour or so. It sure works up here real well.

I finally have a canning kitchen, sorta <g> It is way to hot here in the summer to use the kitchen for hours of pressure canning. I, personally, much prefer a steam canner to a boiling water bath. I already have shelves of jam and if you use Pomona Pectin instead of the stuff you usually find on the grocery shelves, then making 7 jars of jam takes exactly 30 minutes, start to finish! Even with the carpel tunnel, I can make strawberry jam in 30 minutes -- hull, whiz in the blender, toss in the jam pot, add the calcium water, dump in less than half the amount of sugar most recipe recommend which I blend with the Pomona Pectin, bring to a boil, jar, process for 7 minutes (5 minutes at sea level). Take the little darlings out and your done.

Today I'll be making green tomato salsa verde. Green tomato because the tomatoes just aren't getting to red this year due to the 60 days of no sun. The 7 jars of salsa verde will take an hour. Lots more chopping to do and they process 20 minutes.

But the taste difference! And the price difference!!!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Bunjov AT aol.com>

We've already picked all the tomatoes we're going to have. The plants are
drying out now, and they're done. That's what makes me wonder about the zone.
Neither one of us does canning of any sort - she works and I don't know how
- but we've made red sauce, tuna-stuffed tomatoes and BLT's until we can't
stand it any more. And given them away. People at her office run and hide now
when they see her coming in with a box or a paper bag.
I have long wanted a dehydrator. Or I could probably use my oven. The top of
the range has to be lit with matches, but the oven does have a pilot light,
and seems to me to be just right for drying stuff.
Also for bowl after bowl of yeast dough rising.
I can't wait for cooler weather - so I can bake again! Store-bought plastic
bread don't get it!