homestead - Re: [Homestead] White Democrats could cost Obama election

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] White Democrats could cost Obama election
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:18:01 -0800

I just love polls AND the reports on them. Grab a part of the poll that will make the biggest headline and cause the biggest stir and kind of put the meat of the poll somewhere on the bottom 1/3 of the page:

"Race is NOT THE BIGGEST FACTOR driving Democrats and independents away from Obama. DOUBTS ABOUT HIS COMPETENCY loom even larger, the poll indicates. More than a quarter of all Democrats expressed doubt that Obama can bring about the change they want, and they are likely to vote against him because of that."

The emphasis is mine because most folks aren't going to read beyond the ASSUMPTIONS ("could" "suggests" "may" "less likely") in the first part of the article.

The funny thing is that if they did the same poll about white folks and people wrote that they thought some folks are "lazy" or "violent" or "non-responsive" then no one would be running around screaming race. And the really funny thing is that you'd get those responses from far more than 1/3 of the folks being polled.

Maybe the poll should have asked if people were anti-Teflon because they have negative thoughts about welfare since his campaign keeps harping on food stamps as though that makes him more of a warm fuzzy kind of candidate. Boy would you get the negatives coming in then!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

I posted asboutr a month ago that the only way that Obama could lose would be if hidden racism among democrats was high. Other than for that one reason, all of the demographic numbers should guarantee Obama a victory. Evidentally, others share my opinion. bobf