homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plants are blooming

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plants are blooming
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:38:49 -0400

Winter is when northern gardeners sit by the fire and read seed
catalogs. It's one of the great joys of rural life. I always plan a
bigger garden than I could ever possible take care of.

I do have a greenhouse, but it's more for starting plants in the spring.
It doesn't make sense to add expensive heat and lights for a few
tomatoes in the winter. I do grow figs in my greenhouse; I love them but
they need the extra winter protection to survive...the unheated
greenhouse is a zone 7 or 8, while outside is a 4 or 5. The figs go
dormant, but overwinter. Also fuzzy kiwis. I'm looking for other
perennial fruits that wouldn't survive outside here, but will overwinter
in a zone 7.

We grow crops in the summer and can/freeze/dry the excess for winter.
Fresh tomatoes are, alas, only available (outside the supermarket) for 3
months or so, starting with the early ones, through to the huge sandwich
tomatoes. I live on tomato sandwiches in August and September. Living
with a 4 month growing season, you learn the meaning of "make hay while
the sun shines".

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga County, PA