homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plants are blooming

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plants are blooming
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:36:57 EDT

We've already picked all the tomatoes we're going to have. The plants are
drying out now, and they're done. That's what makes me wonder about the zone.
Neither one of us does canning of any sort - she works and I don't know how
- but we've made red sauce, tuna-stuffed tomatoes and BLT's until we can't
stand it any more. And given them away. People at her office run and hide
now
when they see her coming in with a box or a paper bag.
I have long wanted a dehydrator. Or I could probably use my oven. The top of
the range has to be lit with matches, but the oven does have a pilot light,
and seems to me to be just right for drying stuff.
Also for bowl after bowl of yeast dough rising.
I can't wait for cooler weather - so I can bake again! Store-bought plastic
bread don't get it!
Sandy
Mid-Mojave

In a message dated 9/20/2008 6:20:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,