homestead - Re: [Homestead] Take cash from bank / Roubini

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Take cash from bank / Roubini
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:44:41 -0500

On Sep 15, 2008, at 8:46 PM, Robert Walton wrote:

Now for the 401k, I know that I'd take a hit, but I've been wondering
if I can't put that money to better use somewhere else. I guess my
question, homesteaders, is do you think that people's 401k monies are
at rick right now? I'm not talking short term losses.

1. Nobody knows the future for sure. Some will guess right, some will guess wrong. The primary value of a professional financial advisor is they make decisions without the emotion that the individual always has. Their negative value to a person of homestead mindset is they don't think like us; they choose from traditional investments.

2. Homesteading is a sound plan for getting through tough times.

3. Rather than cash beyond necessity, I would rather have seeds and tools and ways to produce and preserve food.

4. Any investment of any retirement monies or any other monies is at risk. You do your due diligence, you make your bet, you take your chances.

5. Bottom line, I like land that will produce food and fuel, and then invest in seeds and tools and common necessities such as clothes, salt, toothpaste, toilet paper. And good beer.