homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead bloggin'

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead bloggin'
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:02:04 -0400

> Of course, in the midst of working, I'll be checking in to play with you
> guys. I get my physical exercise in by doing the outside work; I get my
> mental exercise in by talking to you guys. You make me research; you make
> me think.

You sure have a lot of projects, course, who doesn't? I like the idea
of that tire edging, very creative.

I''ve got salad mix to get seeded, but going to hold off on my garlic
for a bit. Maybe in October. I also read about planting fall potatoes.
Dig a trench, add leaves, compost, seed potatoes, cover with soil and
wait for them to grow very early in spring. May try some that way.

Got to get a final cleaning in the goat shed. The girls have a new
billy coming here soon. He's a high faluten, purebred, Nubian buckling
with some great bloodlines. Hopefully I'll get him here in early
October. He's coming from Missouri riding shotgun in an 18 wheeler
(long story).

I'm hoping to use the fall and winter months to get ahead on some
fencing projects, get a good winter cover on my two fields, and make
the goat and chicken quarters more livable.

Another project is that digging of a root cellar. And I need a better
place to milk the girls.

This year I've got lots of wood brought up, probably 3 cords. Brought
up a truckload this evening. What's not at the house is stacked in the
woods. I think my wood is mostly not going to be dry enough this year.
Maybe some, I'll have to buy some wood to get started on. The good
thing about that is I will have a one up on next year. I plan to mark
some trees this year before the leaves drop and then cut this winter
and really have well seasoned wood next year. Forget the cut when the
leaves come out. I'm too busy in the garden and kidding goats, etc and
don't get it done. Better to cut when it's cool out and the ticks are
down.

Rob - Va