homestead - Re: [Homestead] Firewood

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Firewood
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:01:33 -0500

On Sep 13, 2008, at 7:51 AM, Robert Walton wrote:

I cut out trees that are sick, crooked, lessor species or growing too
thick. If I left every tree that had something living in or on it, I'd
leave every tree. I wonder what they are? I don't see any evidence of
something living in this wood.

I can see that this has become a consuming passion. Get you out there with a strong knife or screwdriver and pry off the bark from twenty or thirty chunks. You may have to work your way down to ground level. Be persistent and you will succeed. Carefully euthanize the insects you find. Bring them in to sit beside your keyboard. Exhaustively research them at entomology web sites. Report to us what you find. Sleep well thereafter.