homestead - [Homestead] Firewood

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Firewood
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:09:43 -0400

'Tis the season, to bring up the firewood. I brought up maybe a cord
last week. Mixed woods, I cut out that which offends. Some crooked
oaks, sweet gums and a tree that I identify as winged elm.

Is winged elm impossible to split? The tree probably fell 2 months
ago, I bucked it 2 weeks ago and it's not splitting. I broke off a
wedge in it.

All of this wood is probably going to be next years firewood. I've
decided that if the money holds, it would behoove me to buy some
firewood in and cheat to get a year ahead.

I have a nice stack of that cord of wood. It is however, singing to
me. I hear something, not crickets chirping in it at night. Not a fast
chirp, a slow one. Creek, Creek Creek. What could that be? I can't
spot anything, even at night with a flashlight.

Rob - Va