homestead - Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:25:00 -0700 (PDT)

Lynda wrote:
> Most folks without any experience, no credentials, straight out of college,
> don't generally get paid a $40,000 advance then get a fellowship at a
> university, not for research or advanced studies, which is the norm, but to
> play Virginia Wolf. Not
> teach during that year as he likes to imply.  And when that book doesn't
> happen during that year, get paid to take a sabbatical when they haven't
> even put in the usual 5 to 10 years to get tenure.  AND get to go sit in
> Bali for 8 months on an extended honeymoon with the wife.  BTW, more than
> half the book was written before he got the contracts.  He was mainly
> supposed to do some editing and do the final couple of chapters.  Nice
> "work" if you can get it.

I wonder why he chose Bali, Indonesia..if I wanted to escape phones, the
last place I would go in/after1993 after Islamic terrorists bombed the WTC
would have been to the most populous Muslim country in the world.  Why
not the Outback?  Why not Kenya?  Why not Hawaii to visit Mom?
Do they have phones in Kansas<g>?

Akka