homestead - [Homestead] deer

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] deer
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:31:53 -0700 (PDT)

Has anyone noticed that the deer seem to cycling later and later in the year?
Normally, I think they would go into estrus in November, but some around
here have gone back in repeatedly because I am seeing very young fawns-still
wobbly- less than a few weeks old- this late in the season.  Gestation is
about 6.5 months(200 days). If the fawns I am seeing were born in mid August,
then the doe would have conceived in early February.  That is more than 5
cycles!!  I read that herd condition can play a part in this, so I am
guessing that overcrowding is leading to malnourishment, which is leading to
poor conception or inability to mate or lack of estrus?  Has anyone else
noticed any of this in your area?

Akka