homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bread machines was: Masonry bake ovens

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bread machines was: Masonry bake ovens
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:03:53 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I believe that to be truly successful with a machine, you have to know
and understand baking the old fashioned way.  If you understand that a
certain dough texture will lead to a certain bread texture, then you are on
your way.  I use my bread machine almost exclusively for mixing doughs now. I
can't remember the last time I actually kneaded anything.  I use my regular
recipes and just put them in the machine in what I call 'machine order', i.e.
dry, wet, yeast, clumpy(raisins, nuts, etc.). I have to tweak things, of
course, but generally the result is great.  Mine has like 10 settings, but I
only use the dough setting.  Once it has been machine kneaded and rested and
kneaded again if need be, I remove the dough, place it into loaf pans or
freeform it or shape it  or braid it or whatever the case, and then bake it
as you normally would.  I personally do not like the shape of machine
loaves-the slices are too large and it is hard for me to
get the crust just right to my liking.
I first learned to bake the old fashioned way, and that gives you a 'feel'
for things, how certain breads are supposed to be.  You learn what is
important (like temperature so you don't kill or thwart the yeast).  Then you
learn to bake with the machine, adjusting recipes on the fly depending on
conditions just as you would on your countertop...a bit more oil..a bit more
egg, a bit more flax, a bit more flour, etc.  One thing that the machine does
help with is temperature control.  On the coldest of days, it brings
ingredients up to temp and mixes them.  It is also a warm, safe place to let
the dough stand for that first rise.
If you intend to use one through all cycles to make bread, just get one that
has a shaped pan that you like.   I don't like the mixes...have never found
one to my taste...I prefer my own recipes or adapted recipes from books.
Besides, Don, if you buy those mixes, you lose control of what goes into the
bread..just something to think about.

Akka B