homestead - [Homestead] hives-type reaction

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] hives-type reaction
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:59:33 -0400

Hey gang,

This seems to be the season for hives, as some of us have them this summer.

This is the third time in a couple weeks that I'm experiencing an itching
rash after gardening. I tend to take my gloves often, particularly when
picking vegetables or fruit. I don't like gardening gloves but wear them as
needed.

I picked zucchini last week and probably touched a couple of the leaves
which had little spikes on them. Not two minutes later, I developed this
hive-like reaction up and down the arm and hand. Itched like hell. I washed
with Burt's Bees Poison Ivy soap and whatever it was subsided over the next
30 minutes until gone.

Then had a similar reaction after picking tomatoes, but not nearly as bad.

This afternoon, while picking peaches, I made the mistake of rubbing my neck
after I'd picked a bunch (gloves off). Sure enough, there came the hives.
Rushed in and washed my whole neck with the soap again. My neck is bright
red and still itches but I can tell that whatever the reaction is, it's
already subsiding.

Need to go pick tomatoes again and I'll keep the gloves on. It's habit to
take them off and shove them in my pocket.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Is this new, funky semi-allergy
I'm developing just the side benefit of being another year older?

Thanks.

Lisa