homestead - [Homestead] Masonry bake ovens

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Masonry bake ovens
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:15:22 -0500

On Aug 24, 2008, at 11:19 PM, Rob wrote:

http://heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm is a page with photos of a
several different types of ovens.

Thanks for that, Rob. Heatkit.com has lots of great photos and also lots of links to other masonry oven sites.

I recently bought a couple of the best books on the subject and am trying to rationalize the time and effort to build a masonry oven. I would like to accumulate a bunch of baker friends and have bake parties. It's a bit of a waste to build one of these babies and then fire it and only bake a few loaves and a pizza.

One of the things I have recently learned is that one can bake bread that is far superior to what we all eat, unless we have good access to a specialty bakery run by a top baker.