homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disappointed in Obama

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disappointed in Obama
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:52:32 -0400

Akka Homestead wrote:
.... I think the way you worded that below is disrespectful to all aviators
who have been POW's. In fact, it is disrespectful in general. It is blaming
the victim...one does not get oneself shot down, just as one does not walk
into an ambush, get his ship sunk or his submarine torpedoed....Just my
opinion though....

You are of course entitled to your opinion, as are we all.
A number of members of my family served in VietNam; two never made it home, and two of those who did return were POWs. Of all the ones still living there is no enthusiasm for Obama, but there will be, I'm told, no votes for McCain among them. In the words of one: "Not if he were the very last of the fakes on earth would I vote for him." This person knows way more than I do about McCain, having been involved with many related incidents. He many years ago advised to me "really research the information about McCain. We can't make it readily available but it's there if you dig.". I will readily admit I've never done that, not actually having enough interest in knowing more things military to do so.
Another, who served five tours in VietNam and only recently retired from full-time POW research in SE Asia (and is in VietNam this month, in fact, finishing up some work) had to restrain himself from sneering when I recently queried him about his ideas regarding McCain.

And having said all that, I readily admit that I'm the worst of the worst: a pacifist in a family of military beings. I can appreciate that we live in a world that seems to require such activity but was for a long time depressed about my own sons' decisions to become longterm members of the services, and was glad when the last of them left the Marine Corps. I can admire the desire to serve, the courage necessary, and so on, but I cannot convince myself that military solutions are desirable unless actual defense is involved. Which is not to say I can't fight or stick up for myself (hey, I grew up the only girl with many brothers, whaddya figger?)......

So it all makes for a voting dilemma. I guess instead of saying I'm disappointed in any one person (or specific group/s of persons) I'm rather disappointed and appalled by the lot of us.

Susan Jane