homestead - [Homestead] Pocket doors

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>, Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pocket doors
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 06:34:01 -0500

On Aug 7, 2008, at 9:34 PM, Roy Morgan wrote:

Apparently this is one case where commonly available hardware will not do for the long run. I certainly do not want to be overhaulling a pocket door installation 10-15 years from now!

I converted a California Bungalow house built in 1923 to my real estate office. The large opening between living room and dining room could be closed by large, paneled pocket doors. Well, I'm sure they could be closed when new. The fine plaster and wide, custom molding restrained me from opening the walls so they could be resurrected.

On a "how dumb can Gene be" note, last year in the Phoenix house I installed a microwave oven above the kitchen stove. The U-shaped mounting bracket required several heavy screws for certain stability. After the installation I found that one of those screws had penetrated the pocket door behind. It took me a couple months before I overcame my mental condition and redid the job.