homestead - Re: [Homestead] One year vision

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] One year vision
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:39:58 -0400

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> > In my opinion, it will be hard to tell until after elections.
>
> It is really hard to tell anyways. What do you think the people of the
> Roman Empire thought during the three centuries of decline into the middle
> ages? What did the wood cutter think while cutting down the very last tree
> on Easter Island?

Good point.

What did people think before banks failed in the Great Depression? What are
we thinking now as major banks begin to fail (or get propped up by borrowing
millions and billions)?

I, too, am trying to find a peaceful middle ground.

I have one friend who is very 'out there.' He says to prepare for martial
law when bank runs begin and the FDIC runs out of reserves. He also thinks
the power grid is going down as Peak Oil deal kicks in, he is basically
forecasting world collapse. Doesn't sound like much fun.

Then I have other friends (and much family) who are sure we'll find more oil
and that the government will fix everything including the big, fat financial
mess. It seems that 80% of the people I know (or conversations overheard in
public if the subject arises) fall into this category.

For some reason, this time around, I think my one lonely oddball 'out there'
friend might be closer to the truth than the majority of the people who
assume that all will be well. Still, I hope that he--and whatever it is that
happens--is a long way off. But I can't help but feel that it might be upon
us sooner than we think.

Does that make me one of those oddball loonies? I hope not.

Lisa