homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:22:21 -0700 (PDT)

You can't even buy nursery stock in the summer, Gene, All it takes is 2-3
back-to-back 115 + degree days to kill every plant. I've had a few plants to
survive the summer, some years. Uusually they don't. And, to answer your
question, I have been doing this for too many years. Using shade cloth and
anything else I can think of to defeat the sun.

Usually I just wait for the nursery stock to show up at the end of the
summer, but it has been showing up so late the past few years , I wanted to
get an early start this fall by planting seeds inside now....bobford