homestead - Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:39:15 -0400

> I'm planting tomatoes, peppers , bush-beans and cucumbers for the fall.
> The packs say germination in 6-8 days and 70 to 90 days for maturity. I
> can probably safely transplant to ground as early as the first week of
> September, unless we have a late heat wave. I'm thinking to start the
> seeds inside this coming weekend . If this sounds too early, would someone
> please let me know. I don't remember just how well to trust the
> information on the seed packs.......bobford

I just planted some onion, cabbage, brussels sprouts and collard seeds
this evening. If I were planting fall tomatoes or peppers, I'd already
have done so or get them in fast. I planted some cukes in the ground
last weekend that will be my Sept/Oct cukes. I wouldn't try to
transplant beans, just plant them.

I forget where you are, so all depends on your growing season. But
you've got the right idea, IMO.

Rob - Va