homestead - [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Growing tomatoes and vegetables from seed for the fall
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:15:48 -0700 (PDT)

I have transplanted nursery stock to ground for so long that I have just
about forgotten the vagaries of growing from seed packets. I'm using seed
this summer because the past few years it has been hard to find nursery stock
before the beginning of October.

I'm planting tomatoes, peppers , bush-beans and cucumbers for the fall.
The packs say germination in 6-8 days and 70 to 90 days for maturity. I can
probably safely transplant to ground as early as the first week of September,
unless we have a late heat wave. I'm thinking to start the seeds inside this
coming weekend . If this sounds too early, would someone please let me know.
I don't remember just how well to trust the information on the seed
packs.......bobford