homestead - Re: [Homestead] Trader Joe's

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Trader Joe's
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:09:41 -0400

I guess it depends on your perspective. I live here in the land of Whole Paycheck. Some people call it Whole Foods. Now you want to talk about ridiculously marked up, crudded up stuff. It gives me anxiety just to walk in there, I swear. How can anyone justify those prices for things? Ugh. Trader Joe's has it *all* over Whole Paycheck in terms of not-as-horrendous-for-you-as-most-things convenience foods, but where they really excel are odd ball things like really good fresh nuts and staples, things like big ole buckets of good maple syrup and honeys and nut butters. And they carry a premade puff pastry that's about twice as much at Whole Paycheck, and is so good it's worth paying for to have on hand for emergency desserts. I have yet to find one here in Virginia/MD that has any kind of real produce section.

I am looking forward to finding a local roaster up in Ithaca, the coffee is the one thing I have not resourced since we moved out of DC.