homestead - Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool

  • From: "WF Smith" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Useful homestead tool
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:10:30 -0400

> Warren, how would you compare this cart to the two-bicycle-wheeled
> garden carts? I can't tell from the photo how the capacity might
> compare. I do know that the large wheels roll very easily over rough
> ground. This does seem a good price. How does it look to stand up to
> the elements if left outside from time to time?

It's a heavy duty "little red wagon". The tires are 12" pnuematic, and you
are pulling it along behind you so it will be easier to manuever when full
than a two wheeled cart or a wheelbarrow, and you are not supporting any of
the weight. The "steering" is automotive style- i.e the front axles are
independent- a big improvement over the Radio Flyer. It is a welded steel
angle and tubing frame with expanded metal panels for the sides and bottom.
It has a blowmolded plastic tray that fits in the bottom to keep small items
from falling through. This tray will be the first thing to go- plastic
getting brittle from sun and cold, but it will be easily replaced by a piece
of plywood.

I'd say it will hold up well even if left outside but will last a long, long
time if left under a shed of some sort. At least comparable to a heavy duty
wheelbarrow in durability. The bed is 2' x 4', and the fold up sides are
about 12" high maybe a little higher. I forsee loading this thing three or
four feet high in compost or mulch and moving it around without too much
difficulty.

It does have those tires, which will necessitate an air pump to keep them
aired up, but hey, who doesn't have a bicycle pump?

Warren