homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised Bed Advice

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised Bed Advice
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:15:12 -0500

Our garden is raised in beds built of scrap lumber, mostly from old pallets which I doubt are treated. The dirt touches it. We used new 2x6's to make a cap board for each. As we get older we appreciate not having to bend so far and being able to sit on them to do our planting and weeding. Raising the beds helps with drainage, although we don't have much rain to worry about and use drip irrigation so the water is going to the plants not so much the boards. In the early spring when the night can freeze and hail is frequent, we cover the beds with old roofing tin balanced across the cap boards. By the time the plants are taller than the boards the danger of frost and hail is past. It has country charm and cost almost nothing except time.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:56:21 -0400