homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dulcimers, was Tomatoes

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dulcimers, was Tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:50:32 -0400

Hey Roy!
I have dabbled in hammered dulcimers and the unhammered, too! What a
beautiful, often haunting sound they make. My neighbors - 4 of them-
play well. One of them used to build both kinds and children's
guitars.....and gifted us with instruments when my babies were born 20
yrs. back. They were then our caretakers here. Whevever we got to
visit, and stayed in the log cabin adjoining this house, we went to sleep
hearing D and J making beautiful Appalachian music on the porch outside
each nite - and between them, they play ALL the instruments. Such a
treat.........and something that made me want to get back to move onto
this farm all the more. We have many partays and social occasions here -
and always, folk bring their instruments along to play around the fire
pit or on porches. I hope you do have time to take up such a wonderful
hobby. I wish i had a hammered dulcimer, but go next door to play theirs
sometime. Friend figured out he was making a couple dollars per hour
making them for sale, so stopped doing it a long time back - before i got
MINE!

Can anyone here recommend a good cd of such music?? That is a thing
within my grasp.....and it would make my field work a pleasant time.
Toni
Spend time in gorgeous Hong Kong. Click now for great vacation packages!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3mnn2FctE0QIp1P7jG6gE4UlDjTUJKaLrjekOgyLL5f4Zu7Z/