homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dulcimers, was Tomatoes

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dulcimers, was Tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:19:14 -0400

On Jun 29, 2008, at 4:50 PM, tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

Hey Roy!
I have dabbled in hammered dulcimers and the unhammered, too! What a
beautiful, often haunting sound they make.

Toni,

Indeed!

My neighbors - 4 of them-
play well. ...We have many partays and social occasions here -
and always, folk bring their instruments along to play around the fire
pit or on porches.

A story I only partly remember:

In the 40's a radio person was interviewing a very ol-time banjo player from the south (a then aged black fellow).

Interviewer: "I never see you use any sheet music."

Banjo player: "Oh! Sheet music is notes. They ain't no notes on a banjo. Ya jus' PLAY."

I hope you do have time to take up such a wonderful
hobby.

That could be a bit of fun, yes.

Friend figured out he was making a couple dollars per hour
making them for sale, so stopped doing it a long time back - before i got
MINE!

Too bad. Well, maybe you could get a kit and make a passable instrument. I understand the $2 per hour thing. I am quite able to restore old radio receivers and transmitters (and antique clocks quite some time ago). Trouble is that only a few folks are willing to afford the money it takes if I'm to get anything like a good "wage" for the work. I'm very persnickety about the work.

Can anyone here recommend a good cd of such music?? That is a thing
within my grasp.....and it would make my field work a pleasant time.

I look forward to answers. I have some tapes of dulcimer music I've liked in the past. Likely I got them at some festival or gathering from the musician's table. Eventually, after we move and I can unpack more of my "stuff", I'll locate them but till then I can't make any suggestions.

Roy

PS: Do you know much about old pianos? We are getting an old one in fine shape with our new house.

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180