homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dulcimers, was Tomatoes

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dulcimers, was Tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:26:27 EDT

> >What is your's made of, James? Saw a beautiful one on the net but the
> base
> was made of redwood and I can't for the life of me figure why anyone would
> want to use such a soft wood. Seems to me it would mute the sound almost
> down to a thunk.

The last couple I made were of Virginia cedar (eastern juniper). Redwood
actually makes a good dulcimer if it is designed properly. Hardwood has too
long
a sustain (rings too long) with the result that the rapid playing gets
muddled. The idea behind using softer wood is to dampen the sustain a bit.
Remember that violins, cellos, and many guitars (as well as mandolins and
lutes)
often have tops made of spruce. Historically lutes had tops (technically
called
the 'belly') made of pine.

Wire strung harps have soundboards made of hardwood because you want a long
sustain, which is damped with the fingertips when needed. But there's no way
to dampen the sustain on a dulcimer so they are purposely made to have a
short
'pluck' which dies away quickly. </HTML>