homestead - [Homestead] Tomatoes

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 08:29:28 -0400

Listen, you have to take beauty where you can find it, and what better medium for a homesteader? ; ) I have long known when I can make something pretty looking, my kid eats more of it.

http://www.bspcn.com/2008/05/26/what-happened-to-the-food/

Image heavy page of interestingly prepared fruits and veg. Two pics may scare little kids, but my kid is up at the kitchen table making things out of grapes, and then eating them.

And, I'd love a mandolin. I have a nice knife I love to use but a mandolin would make somethings easier.

For storing tomatoes, last year I boiled them for 30 seconds to pull off the skins, cored them, and threw them in zip locks in the downstairs freezer. We had tomatoes till January. I really like to cook, it's my form of relaxation, so I could just take these out in the morning and start cooking like I had raw tomatoes. I did freeze some as concentrated roasted tomato sauce, I should have done more like that because we used those up quickly. Still, I found the smell of tomatoes simmering all day in my crock pot was a real boon on a chilly day.

Does anyone grow fennel? I've found if I add fennel to a dish I get that sausagey taste I love without the meat. I've only ever used it as a spice and I'm starting to wonder if I am really missing the boat in terms of using it as a straight up veg.